Sunday, October 28, 2007

Why I never do Sunday lunch in a restaurant…..

I am not a morning person, so chances are I walk to my nearest mall at about noon to get the essentials for the day, newspapers, juice, etc.

There is always this queue of people outside the mediocre restaurants or what you people call franchise restaurants. Let’s be honest, the franchise joints survive solely because of their prices and not the quality of their foods. Give me an Italian deli owned by some old lady who reeks of sangria any day!

Now back to the people queuing up for their weekly ‘meal out’. These are people who seldom eat out, and thus do not have an idea of what good food should taste like. They woke up, went to church and then decided on a family brunch. Part of the Sunday routine. Also, there are kids in the group, so the place has to be pretty decent when it comes to prices and serve portions that come with the doggy bag at no cost.

This is the perfect time for the restaurant owners to spring clean their restaurant stocks. You use up everything on these people and drastically cut costs; this is when you can serve jersey milk mozzarella instead of the real buffalo milk stuff. You can stash your Lurpak butter and use the no –name brand. These guys simply want to eat.

Besides the noise from the over crowded restaurant and kids crying (I am sorry, I don’t really take too kindly to crying children while feasting on some sarmie of roasted veggies and pesto on a toasted panini) I refuse to eat out on Sunday simply because I know the restaurant is serving sub standard far. Go back the following morning, and you will taste the difference!

7 comments:

Sarah Britten said...

I usually have Sunday lunch at home. Breakfast in Parkhurst on a Sunday morning is pretty mellow though: everyone sipping their cappuccino and reading the papers. Parkhurst food tends to be a lot better than anything you'd get in a mall (Mugg & Bean excepted of course).

Oldman said...

The Sunday morning Eggs Benedict is something an old fella like me needs to avoid; it takes too much hard work to work it off the waist the next day. A freshly brewed coffee and a slice of cinnamon toast is just about the limit. The Sunday roast lunch is a tradition in the Oldman household.

BTW Sarah, the coffee at the Mug & Bean is some of the worst I've had anywhere in the world.

Lusapho said...

I agree with you there Oldman.

M&B coffee must be the worst tasting coffee I have ever had. No wonder its bottomless.

I usually prefer places that serve Danesi coffee, it tastes better than the Illy and Segafredo stuff.

Anonymous said...

Since I am single I do kind of feel like doing a Sunday lunch at some restuarant. The most enjoyable I have had must be at Nambitha in Soweto.

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I'd like to ask...How many of you have ever been on the other side of the fence? Do you actually know anything about coffee or restaurants or life? How many of you have ever attempted to make a difference to peoples lives by employing hundreds of thousands of people in an Industry that has to put up with the likes of "Old man" "Lusapho" ....and all the like.
If you do not like that coffee, go elsewhere...do not breakdown something you do not understand. This world does revolve around more than your existence.

Anonymous said...

Ped, wake up and smell the coffee. Every one of us has at one time or another been on the "other side of the fence"; we live it constantly whether we work for someone or own our own businesses. If the quality of the coffee is bad, it is bad. I've had coffee in most cities of the world and from independent as well as chain coffee shops like Starbucks and Gloria Jeans. The coffee I had on two separate occasions at the M&B tasted like burnt milk with a weak coffee flavour. As for going "elsewhere", that is exactly what I did after those experiences.

Oldman

Lusapho said...

Yeah...

I also chose to go elsewhere. Face it mate, Mugg and Bean coffee doesnt even deserve to be called coffee. Get Coffee from House of Coffees, and compare with like coffee from Mugg and Bean. Mocca Java versus Mocca Java, Weiner Mischung versus Weiner Mischung and tell me if you can taste the difference. For your sake, I hope you can.

At the end of the day, we are the ones forking out big bucks to sustain the restanrants and we should thus be able to express an opinion about their food.

Its like the government, they emply and take care of millions of people buy as the tax payer you are free to comment on what they are doing, etc.